Apples have been a power food since the Garden of Eden. They’re low in calories, rich in fiber, and a source of boron, a mineral your mind may require for mental alertness and your body uses to maintain sufficient levels of calcium.
Tart yet sweet, apricots are a storehouse of beta-carotene, a nutrient that helps protect against many types of cancer. Three raw apricots or ten dried halves will give you your daily quota of this nutrient.
Here’s one creamy food that can help lower your cholesterol – by as much as 9 to 43 percent, according to one study. Avocados are also rich in potassium and magnesium, two minerals your muscles rely on.
The banana is the world’s best natural, low-fat source of Vitamin B6, a nutrient that helps make antibodies to fight disease. Eat just one banana, and you have taken in one-third of the U.S. Recommended daily allowance of B6.
Bet you wouldn’t think of the nectarine when asked to name a fiber-rich fruit. Yet a single nectarine has even more fiber than a whole banana. Nectarines are also an excellent source of vitamin A and potassium.
Sure, orange is synonymous with vitamin C. But did you know it’s also a source of calcium? A medium size orange gives you as much calcium as an ounce of Brie, though it has 30 fever calories and none of the sodium.
Keen on peaches? Well that’s peachy keen because this source of vitamins A and C will satisfy your sweet tooth without overloading you with fat. Pick fresh peaches over canned to get the maximum fiber benefit from this fruit.
This fruit is a good source of vitamin C. A medium size grapefruit contains 50 percent more vitamin C than the Recommended Dietary Allowance. Try flavoring it with cinnamon instead of sugar.
If you’ve never eaten a prune, you’re in for a moving experience. Prunes are nature’s best-tasting laxative. They conain a great deal of fiber, making them great for lowering your blood cholesterol level as well.
Heaven can be had for just 152 calories a slice. But don’t dismiss watermelon as a mere taste-pleaser. The vitamin C content of this juicy melon may help protect you against cancer of the esophagus and stomach.
Say “fiber” and you immediately think of heavy foods such as bran, right ? Well, strawberries contain fiber too, the soluble kind that slows digestion of foods so you feel full longer. Count for them for vitamin C, too.
Fragrant and inviting, this juicy melon packs a vitamin C wallop. You can also count on it for potassium, a mineral you need in sufficient amounts to keep your muscle from cramping. Let your sweet tooth indulge.
They are very powerful anti-oxidants. They are very rich sources of vitamin C, vitamin B, calcium and phosphorus. These nutrients and other minerals present in pomegranates help in the prevention of many diseases.
POWER FOODS FTW!12,859 notes
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April
Reblogged from: flatabsandthighgaps
Posted by: goingtobestrong-deactivated2011
- gracelizabeth615 reblogged this from eat-healthy-train-hard
- talltanfit reblogged this from theorganicblog
- angeliquem reblogged this from eat-healthy-train-hard
- paradigmscout likes this
- greatsugar likes this
- binteali likes this
- cheyennereptar likes this
- imperfectionandbeautiful reblogged this from eat-healthy-train-hard
- zeiranry reblogged this from diaryofafitgirl
- candy-yr0 likes this
- ghostheart reblogged this from lil-lady-kate
- flakoskeptik likes this
- smokeegoku69 reblogged this from overhandright
- smokeegoku69 likes this
- icoulddiethisway likes this
- overhandright reblogged this from niggawitdreadz
- time-for-fit-2013 reblogged this from eatyourrvegetables
- lamar67 reblogged this from littlemeanykid
- lamar67 likes this
- verodose likes this
- loseweight-gainstrength reblogged this from yummifullz-food
- clarinettemuse likes this
- britneysweightlossblog reblogged this from eat-healthy-train-hard
- ella-freespirit reblogged this from nike-girls
- rorytheturtle likes this
- dudefit reblogged this from gettingahealthybody
- punksjumpup likes this
- awerewolfstar likes this
- lovetomarra reblogged this from madamoisellebella
- blame likes this
- jds14 likes this
- createthisdestroythat reblogged this from isolated-blackhole
- shiinexo likes this
- freshstiles12 likes this
- vickstartinfresh reblogged this from sendintheclownswithoutadash
- irrelevantteenager likes this
- itsnicolababy likes this
- lightandfit23 reblogged this from thegymisopen
- gods-n-monsters likes this
- olenjisun reblogged this from fittestcloud
- madamoisellebella reblogged this from fitnessfoodfabulous
- sxerocker168 likes this
- ibleedthc likes this
- dingle-my-ronpas likes this
- bitterculture likes this
- ladiilocs reblogged this from thatniggaskyp
- crossfit-and-tea reblogged this from watchmedothisnow